The Tennessee Alliance to Reclaim Our Schools (AROS) coalition is looking for an independent contractor who can assist in fulfilling its goals of creating better options for students, teachers, parents and communities during the 2016 legislative session.
Tennessee AROS is an alliance of parent, youth, community and educator organizations fighting to reclaim the promise of public education for every student. Tennessee AROS is working with Nashville Organized for Hope and Action (NOAH), the Tennessee Education Association (TEA), the Tennessee Parent Teacher Association (Tennessee PTA), Tennesseans Reclaiming Educational Excellence (TREE) and more.
We believe that the best way to ensure each and every child has the opportunity to pursue a rich and productive life is through a system of publicly funded, equitable and democratically controlled public schools. After years of division, AROS is uniting parents, youth and teachers to drive the transformation of public education, shift the public debate and build a movement for equity and opportunity for all.
The Tennessee AROS contract position will include the following job responsibilities:
- Work with AROS Table Chairs to connect with other possible partners
- Possible additional AROS partners
- Possible partners in the Community Schools or Career Tech Schools movements
- Career Tech Organizations/Schools
- Community Schools Principals and Coordinators
- Directors of Schools/School Board Chairs of districts that may want to pilot the concept
- Compile Research related to our overall project
- Give presentations/help facilitate forums on Community Schools
- Administrate the work of the AROS table: logistics planning; meeting reminders; materials; follow up
- Coordinate TN AROS joint activities
- Communications – work with AROS partners to communicate with their constituents as well as the community at large – through various media methods including social media.
- Track and communicate the success of any legislative/local efforts
- Work with AROS partners to connect the Community Schools effort to the opportunities required by ESSA to districts to have the first shot at improving their schools with local stakeholder leadership.
- Facilitate the formation of local AROS tables which may be a part of a local ESSA implementation team.
- Liaison with the national AROS coalition partners
- Develop/investigate recommendations to bring to the full AROS table
We are seeking an individual with the following skills and experience:
- Good Written and Verbal Communications Skills
- Experience in community organizing or engagement
- Basic technology skills
- Digital Communication skills
- Self Starter
- Organized/dependable work ethic
- Ability to generate reports
- Training/presentation background
- Experience in building interpersonal relationships
- Lobbying experience
- Experience building relationships with education stakeholders
Interested individuals should submit a letter of interest and professional resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Tennessee AROS anticipates the contract period will begin in January.