The duties of the Instruction and Professional Development Commission are to:
- Determine the instructional concerns of Tennessee education personnel and assist local education associations in effectively addressing those concerns
- Work for improved standards and high quality licensing for educators, and advocate the need for increased involvement of professionals, especially classroom teachers, in the certification/licensure process.
- Provide leadership in the improved accreditation of teacher education institutions and promote active participation by practitioners in accreditation.
- Monitor the educational activities of governmental agencies and other agencies that have impact on instruction, school improvement and professional development.
- Provide information, resource materials, and research on critical instructional and professional development activities.
- Seek improvements to educator in‑service procedures and access to ongoing professional development opportunities.
- Encourage skilled individuals to earn a teaching license and promote the retention of capable licensed educators in Tennessee
- Encourage capable individuals to enter the non-teaching occupations in education and promote retention of these employees.