For more information and credentials, contact Jessica Holmes.
Article IX, Section 1, of the TEA Bylaws sets forth the following delegate election requirements:
- Each affiliated local association shall be entitled to one delegate for each twenty-five active members of the Association or major fraction thereof.
- No individual may serve as a delegate or vote for the election of a delegate until membership dues to the Association for the current membership year have been paid or authorized through payroll deduction or an alternate dues payment plan approved by the Board of Directors.
- Affiliates shall insure that ethnic minority delegates are elected at least in proportion to the ethnic minority membership of the affiliate.
- Affiliates must elect classroom teachers and administrators as delegates in proportion to the membership of classroom teachers and administrators for members of the affiliate to be eligible to be delegates. If an affiliate is unable to elect classroom teacher delegates in sufficient numbers to fill the classroom teacher delegate positions for which it is eligible, the remaining teacher delegate positions may be filled by administrator candidates, on the ballot, who were excluded because the number of administrator candidates exceeded the affiliate’s administrator delegate allotment.
- The executive director of the Association shall issue delegate credentials to any eligible active member of the Association who shall be designated by the president and secretary of the member’s affiliated local association as having been elected a delegate by the membership of that local association.
Any deviation from these Bylaws requirements can result in a challenge to the seating of the delegates. Delegates should be completed and returned to TEA as soon as possible but no later than March 9, 2021. Contact Jessica Holmes to inquiry about the process of submitting delegates.
TENNESSEE EDUCATION ASSOCIATION
April 9-10, 2021
Friday, April 9, 6:00 – 8:30 P.M. – First General Session
- Pledge of Allegiance
- National Anthem
- Presentation of Delegates
- Adoption of Agenda
- Adoption of Standing Rules
- Standing Rule Amendments
- Appointment of Committees
- Credentials Committee
- Elections Committee
- President’s Speech
- Budget Hearing
- Deadline to submit New Business Items and Resolution Amendments—7:00 p.m.
- Board of Directors
- NEA Director for a three-year term
- Higher Education Faculty for a three-year term
- Middle Tennessee Administrator for a three-year term
- Middle Tennessee Black Classroom Teacher for a three-year term
- Classroom Teacher Board members from Districts 2, 9, and 15 for a three-year term
- Classroom Teacher Board members from Districts 5 and 8 for a two-year unexpired term
- West Tennessee contact to the Board of Trustees of the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System for a two-year unexpired term
- West Tennessee contact to the Local Education Insurance Committee for a two-year unexpired term
- Middle Tennessee contact to the Board of Trustees of the Tennessee Consolidated Retirement System for a three-year term
- Middle Tennessee contact to the Local Education Insurance Committee for a three-year term
- Fund for Children and Public Education
- Districts 2 and 9 for a three-year term
- Districts 3, 5, 7, 10, 12, 13, and 14 for a two-year unexpired term
- Districts 8 and 11 for a one-year unexpired term
- Report on Campaign Policies and Candidate Expenses
Saturday, April 10, 8:00-8:45 A.M. - Delegates from the following districts will convene to nominate candidates for the TEA Board of Directors: Two (three-year term), Five (two-year unexpired term), Eight (two-year unexpired term), Nine (three-year term), and Fifteen (three-year term). For TEA-FCPE Executive Council, the following districts will convene: Two (three-year term), Three (two-year unexpired term), Five (two-year unexpired term), Seven (two-year unexpired term), Eight (one-year unexpired term), Nine (three-year term), Ten (two-year unexpired term), Eleven (one-year unexpired term), Twelve (two-year unexpired term), Thirteen (two-year unexpired term), and Fourteen (two-year unexpired term).
Saturday, April 10, 9:00 A.M. – Second General Session
- Memorial Recognition
- Membership Awards
- Friend of Education Award(s) (if awarded)
- Action on Constitution and Bylaw Amendments
- Report of the Executive Director (includes the Financial Report)
- Adoption of the 2020-2021 Budget
- Action on Proposed Resolutions
- Action on Legislative Program
- Action on New Business Items
- Report of the NEA Directors
- Tennessee Retired Teachers Association (TRTA)
- Legislative/FCPE Report
Open to TEA-RA Delegates