TEA Week of Action: Sunday, March 28 - Friday, April 2, 2021
Long before COVID-19 hit Tennessee, our public schools were already plagued by chronic under-funding by the state. Gov. Bill Lee’s proposed budget includes increases for K-12, but falls far short of what the state can afford and what our schools need. His proposal also will not get Tennessee out of the bottom five states for public school funding.
TEA is asking all educators and public education advocates to stand with the association in a Week of Action to demand a significant increase in public education funding.
Please use the hashtags #Bottom5 and #FundTNschools, and tag Gov. Lee, your legislators and reporters in your area when posting on social media during the Week of Action. Click here for a list of legislators' social media accounts.
- Prep for the Week of Action – Watch the video message below from President Beth Brown.
- Sunday – Day of prayer and meditation for Tennessee students, educators and elected leaders
- Monday – Check out the TEA Facebook page for a temporary profile picture to use for the week on your personal social media. When you change your profile image, be sure to share what increased state funding would mean for your students, school and/or personal budget.
- Tuesday – Send a postcard to Gov. Lee advocating for increased funding and share your postcard message on social media. TEA members will receive a mailer with a tear-off postcard to use. Postage is already paid, so you just need to add your message and drop it in the mail.
- Wednesday – Wear #RedforEd and/or wear something to represent 46 (to represent Tennessee ranking 46th in state investment in our students), and share a photo on social media.
- Thursday – Complete online “work order” for repairs needed at your school that could be addressed with increased funding. Watch TEA social media for a link to the work order.
- Friday – Share the TEA funding one-pager for your district and the TEA funding primer video on social media. Be sure to tag Gov. Lee, your legislators and reporters in your area!